Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Run to Anywhere

This is going to be a quick one because I'm supposed to be unpacking my stuff from these boxes but I need to write. Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech changed the world. And I can say, truly for all the people with disability we all have a dream. But this dream, isn't one. It's a wish. Difference between dream and a wish? Most of the time, wishes don't come true.

I wish that one day, people notice me NOT for my wheelchair.
I wish that one day, people would be THANKFUL for EVERYTHING.
I wish that one day, people would think before they speak.
I wish that one day, there would be no need of speaking of "accessibility" because EVERYWHERE is accessible.

Now, a lot of people write for a purpose, whether they like it or not. It might be an essay for school and they drag on to finish it. It might be a letter for a love one thousands of miles away. But we all write for a purpose. Me....I write to cry. I've come to the realization that my words replace the tears. Funny in ways that society believe "men shouldn't cry" and truly, I am no fan of crying. It shows weakness and more.

So instead....my words replace my tears. And that, just may be why I write.

As I am was unpacking, I found my old football stuff. Some trophies, my helmet, and the pigskin from that night's game. I had the sudden urge to run out of the house and truly run. Run like I used to on the football field and run like Forest Gump. Just. Run. And it won't matter where.

Then it hit me.
I can't.

Fuck.

You know what would be nice? A run.
A nice run to the PX.
A nice run to the Commissary.
A run to anywhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment