Friday, September 11, 2009

Celebrate

Tomorrow, the entire world will remember.

Though most of the world would remember the dramatic event that happened eight years ago, we remember the people. Society seem to share with a lot of us that it's "bad" to celebrate on such day. I tend to disagree.

On 9/11, we should all celebrate. We should all celebrate the life we have. Instead of being sad and remember what life a person once had. We should all celebrate the life that everyone lived and celebrate who that person is. Of the amount of people lost on 9/11, we should all celebrate their life. But at the same time we should smile. Smile and be thankful for our everyday lives. Thankful for what every single firefighter, policemen who fight to help save others. We should all smile. Smile and celebrate life.



When I was a little kid, I remember funerals and memorial as a sad and depressed thing. People came from all over the world dressed in black to be sad. As I grow other and added more funerals and memorials, I realize that there should be time for happiness and celebration. Celebrate the person's life, their spirits and their will.

So I urge every single one of you. On this September 11th, celebrate the life of every single person lost. Put little time to tears and sadness but truly celebrate. Smile and laugh of what the person still IS and not was.

I've been asked a lot about where I was when this event happened. What was I doing and what I was thinking when it happened. Let me share my story with you:

Eight years ago, I was ten. Eight years ago, I was 4th grade. Eight years ago I was sleeping when my Dad woke me up. "Something happened, son, come with me." If you don't know my family, we're huge on military and public service. Police officers, firefighters, paramedics, you name it. And on that day, still half asleep, I realized how lucky I really am.

Eight years ago, my Mom was in New York on a business trip. Eight years ago, on September 10th, Mom had a lunch meeting at Windows on the World (located on the 106th/107th of the North Tower). Eight years ago, I could remember her telling us how important the meeting was but how much she wishes Dad and I can be there to enjoy the view. Mom always loved New York and the wide city view and I don't blame her, once awhile it's good to get away from the stars. Eight years ago, on September 11th, I froze in my living room.

Mom left the weekend before so she can enjoy the sites at New York. She left the weekend before so she can meet up with some family members who are working in NY as firefighters and police officers. She had what she called "HUGE!" meeting on the 10th and 11th. She was excited but at the same time nervous. I could remember her telling me, "wish me luck, wear your lucky underwear and bring everything lucky with you!" Entire weekend was filled with calls of how amazing the New York lights were and inside, I was jealous. I wanted to be in New York too!



On Monday, September 10th, Mom went to Windows on the World for a lunch meeting. She even called and tell us how much she love us and reminded me to wear my lucky underwear. After the meeting she went to The Mall at the World Trade Center. That night, I remember her calling the house. She told us the meeting was amazing and thanked me for brining her luck. She didn't talk much that night, said tomorrow it's another day in the wonderful city of New York.

She kissed me good night through the phone and went to bed.

On the morning of September 11th, after Dad woke me up, I was scared to death. I prayed as I watched the news. I prayed for the people in the building, for the people on the plane and people working at the Pentagon but most of all I prayed for Mom. For her safety and I prayed to God to please, bring her back safely. And with school time getting closer and closer, I wish I can stay home and wait by the phone. Just to know Mom is ok.



Days later, Mom called and told us she was safe and she would be home soon. That call made Dad and I breath both easier. I can not tell you what Mom experience but I can tell you that day, that week will forever be on my mind.


As I got older, I realized that was what many other families were doing that day. Praying and hoping that their love ones will come home. Praying and hoping their love ones are safe. I was the lucky one, my Mom came home. For the family of the 2000+ lost that day, they weren't so lucky. And to them, I say thank you.

So tomorrow, eight years after the attack, I will celebrate and be thankful for all those who died that day. For the heroes who ran up the tower when others rush down. For the heroes who stood up and fought against the hijackers. For those businessmen who make NY what it is. For the families, and more.

Celebrate and smile.
Celebrate and be thankful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment