Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Wake Up Matt

When we were told I have Spinal Cord Injury, we knew there will be complications.

But somehow, subconsciously I've ignored that fact for the longest time. And somehow, my body have a way of reminding me. The UTI's, the fevers, Autonomic Dysreflexia, and now, Muscle Atrophy.

I'm not sure why I ignored it for so long, thinking that it'll just disappear if I don't think about it or don't worry much about it. I'm not sure why I'm not facing it head on and I'm ignoring the fact that I will have complications for the rest of my life, I don't know. I just ignore all of it.

Until, of course, it's blowing up right in my face.

Last week, my Physical Therapist told Mom and me that we might want to make an appointment with the doctor. When I heard Muscle Atrophy from my PT, I ignored it. In fact, my brain was thinking more of the weekend when I get to spend time with Nicole and go to a Craig Morgan concert together. I didn't even hear a word my PT had to say and well...maybe I didn't want to hear it. Or maybe I want to hear it from someone who spend years and years of their life in school. Just so I know for sure this is happening.

Well today...I know for a fact it's happening.

For those who don't know what Muscle Atrophy is, basically you are losing your muscle mass because you're not moving that part of your body (and no, old age got nothing to do with it) and well with paralysis, that's kind of a given. "Muscle Atrophy can contribute to more problems- and more pain- as it gets worse." My doctor said to me. Physical Therapy was supposed to help. But not for me. Something is just not right and well, PT didn't help.

So, starting from this week, I'm going to be on the FES bike (which is basically a stationary bike that "shocks" my muscles as it's moving...supposedly stimulating riding a bike and moving those muscles) more than I ever have before. My PT is going to be working her ass off trying to get these muscles going. (Poor her...I seem to make her job more interesting by the day...) I'm going to be on more supplements than ever (joy...more pills...) and Mom is looking into the possibility of getting an Endless Pool (ya right...in my dreams) for therapy purposes. We'll most likely end up trying to find the nearest place that have an Endless Pool so I hope in there and work 'em muscles as often as I can.


FES Bike

Doc gave us a couple months to see if the muscles will get better and worse comes the worse, I might need to do some Ultrasound therapy or even surgery. Let's hope we don't have to get there.

There are a few decent news lately: I got to spend time with Nicole on Saturday, the concert was amazing and BD's and Sushi Den was amazing also. Thanks to Kiev for suggesting 'em places for us.

Since Nicole is living all the way out in NC and trying to get her mind ready for Basic, I'm still trying to make sure that we see each other as often as possible before she leaves without breaking either her (and my) non-existing wallet. I asked her to go to the Winter Dance with me as a way of spending and celebrating Valentines Day early (and so either her or I have to spend more money trying to see each other) Now I just got think of something to give her. This is going to be a toughy so if you think you know your gifts for a girl during Valentines Day, Twitter me or contact me please, thanks.

Lastly, I finished Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Cheating Death (and starting to read SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner) I am truly amazed what medicine can achieve if we just give it a chance. Be sure to look out for a review of the book over at Knuckles Reviews soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment