Sunday, May 30, 2010

Week of May 30th, 2010

In this age and times, fewer and fewer people know what Memorial Day truly means. Just last week I asked some kids what Memorial Day is and majority of 'em told me, "I don't know." and I found that extremely sad.

I think being in the military family you grew up knowing what Memorial Day truly means. You know more than just about the BBQ and the long weekend. We know what Memorial Day truly stands for and we know and appreciate and honor the men and women who gave up their lives for all this to be possible.



When I was growing up, I remember the BBQs and I remember the fun. But first and foremost, we took the time to think and honor those who made our BBQs and fun possible. We think about the friends and family we lost and thank 'em for what they did. And we visit Arlington and Great-Grandpa or my Grandparents or even Dad would say some wise thing about Freedom, about Sacrifice, and about Remembering. And we'd let the silence run through the air. Sometimes, if we're lucky, the winds would pick up and the flag would wave freely in the air.

Now that's Freedom.

This Memorial Day, Grandma stayed home with Sarah while Grandpa and I took the flight to Washington D.C. There's just something about D.C when you land and walk outside the terminal, you just get that indescribable feeling. We landed in DC around 2300 and before we headed to our hotel room and settle for the day, Grandpa drove right pass the WWII Memorial and took this picture.



Guess Grandpa wanted a preview and well...I have a feeling what we're going to do tomorrow before we leave on Monday morning.

So this week is a special edition of Weekly Tunes, since today is the traditional Memorial Day. Join me this week and listen to Billy Ray Cyrus's Some Gave All and think about those who are the true American Idol.


0 comments:

Post a Comment