Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week of October 17th, 2010

I just heard this song this morning by Craig Morgan. Couldn't stop laughing when I heard the lyrics, guess who it is about?

Yup, you guessed right, Brett Favre.

Have a listen:

Craig Morgan- Still a Little Chicken Left on That Bone


Also, if you have connection with the Rutger's football team, please forward this letter to both Coach Schiano and Eric LeGrand. If you haven't heard, LeGrand broke his neck during the Army game. From what I've heard, broken neck and probably will be like me. Being sick of people saying "I'm so sorry" and all that emo crap after I got hurt, I wrote a letter to both Coach Schiano, Eric, and Eric's family to hope tell 'em what Spinal Cord Injury is really like and to look up at the possibilities and not the disability.

Story here

Dear Coach Schiano,

My name is Matthew Knipe, I am a 19 years old currently living in Colorado with my family. My father is in the Army and I am sure by hearing that, you know who I was cheering for at the game yesterday. I sat in my living room, cheering for a team that I long loved since I was a child and now, I wish to pass on this message to both you and Eric LeGrand. As soon as I saw Eric went down, I knew of the possibilities.

You see, Coach Schiano, I have been in Eric's shoes. I grew up around football and loved the sport. I breathe and lived football and watched games like there is no other. My dream, to play high school and college football. When I was a freshman in high school, I never would have imagine that I would hear the last play of my life. I broke my neck on September 25th, 2006 and like Eric, I broke my neck (though my injury was lower, at C4-6). My parents were told that I would not be able to make it through the night.

Fast forward 4 years, here I am and doing well. I graduated high school and is currently attending college. Though I at times still miss football, getting hurt on the field that day changed my life. I have ever since grow more passion about the sport and cherish my life, every day. Looking back these four years, I have do more things than I ever will have I not gotten hurt. Spinal Cord Injury changed my life, for both good and bad, though majority good.

Please help me forward the letter below to Eric. I have been in his shoes and know what it's like to have life change on a dime. Please pass the word also to the LeGrand family, that though this tunnel ahead of them is tough and bumpy, at the end of the tunnel is more joy than anyone will ever experience.

Every person who sustained Spinal Cord Injury is lucky to be alive. They were given a second chance at life. And that, is something that everyone get on a daily basis.

Thank you, Coach Schiano for reading my letter and thank you also for passing on this message to Eric and his family.
I wish you and the Rutgers team and family well.
Matt

Hey Eric,

You don't know me nor do I really know you. But now, you have join the ranks of the elite squad. The group of people who are lucky to be alive and who are extremely lucky to have a second chance at life. Let me welcome you to the elite squad and let you know that you are NOT alone.

My name is Matthew Knipe and I broke my neck 4 years ago on the field just like you did. I know EXACTLY what's going on in your mind and your parents'/family's mind. I know things look crazy right now and that halo immobilizer is probably driving you nuts, but trust me, it'll only get crazier from here.

I am not the one to sugar coat anything but I can tell you, after all this crazier things will get loads more fun and exciting. I can already tell you now that you should get used to the ceiling and once they move you out of that bed, you'll actually miss the ceiling. Rehab will be hell but once you get home and get used to things, it'll be the most exciting time of your life.

I am 4 years pass my injury and though at times missing football, I am extremely glad that I am alive and well. I have been giving a second chance at life and not many people get that chance. Things may look gray right now, but no worries, dude, it'll be alright. Rehab is just the road to something great, look forward to leaving the hospital and out of rehab, because there's an entire new world waiting on you. Trust me, I'm a quadriplegic and I know. Plus, the ladies will like the chair, trust me on that one.

LeGrand family, I understand that this is a difficult time and that not everything make sense right now. All the Spinal Cord Injury acronym that the doctors are sharing is extremely confusing and frustrating to know the future. But please have hope, it is with hope and determination that things will turn out better than before. Spinal Cord Injury have changed my life, many say for the worse but I disagree, it opened up a lot of doors and windows for me that I didn't see/recognize before my injury.

Feel free to contact me at anytime, Eric and the LeGrand family. You guys are part of a family now, a Spinal Cord Injury family and if there is anything I can do or help answer, I'd be glad to do that. My email is:

matthew.s.knipe@gmail.com

Good luck with rehab, Eric. It'll be a tough one but nothing like the years you train to get into Rutger. Let me know if you need anything or want advice from someone who went through that same rehab process.
Matt

P.S. When you're out of rehab and ready for a challenge, dude. I'll have a race with ya. I got a manual chair but I am sure I can beat you in a race. What you say?

0 comments:

Post a Comment