Sunday, July 4, 2010

This July 4th

Someone once asked me, "What it means to be patriotic?" and like a fool, I didn't answer. I just looked at the person and smiled. I guess I was too young to find a real answer.

As I get older every day, I've find that many people these days are too "busy" to be thinking of such thing as "patriotic" and "Independence Day" and all that. Just this week, I've asked some kids at my friend's job what they're doing on Independence Day, majority of 'em told me, "Nothing" and some told me, "I'm going to China."

Really?!

Anyways, I guess there's a part of me that is giving up on the people (civilians or not) that doesn't take the time to slow down and think what it means to be free in this country. Giving up on the people who don't stop and think about those who make it possible. And giving up on the people who cheer at the sound of Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans' Day simply because there's a day off.

I am SO glad my parents taught me different. Very different.

Anyways, as you guys celebrate a 3-day weekend, please remember those who make all this possible. Think not only of the troops but think about their families, their love ones, and those who are thinking of the true heroes in this country. At the same time, please remember the Founding Father's, for it is their dream that make all this possible.

Weekly Tunes this week:
American Soldier by Toby Keith
Please remember what this day is all about.



Lastly, guys, please be safe this 4th. I really don't want this happening to any of you. Be smart and be safe. Happy 4th of July.
Police: NY man blows off arm with party fireworks http://bit.ly/bCmqJN

2 comments:

Stef said...

I'm pregnant and emo anyways, but this video really tore me up. My husband leaves for basic in two months and won't be back before the baby comes. It's a hard sacrifice for me and my children to say the least. Even more than that though, is his personal sacrifice to us and to our country. I've never been associated with the military in any way during my life. Life teaches me so many amazing things and as I grow older, I am blessed with the growth in perspective that change brings. I'm strong enough to do it, as painful as that is. I'm also proud and honored to be married to a man who is not only sacrificing everything to take care of our family, but to help take care of our country.

Ruchi said...

Hello Matt,
Wishing you,Nicole, your family and your friends
a very happy fourth of July...May peace and love prevail in this beautiful world of ours and God bless our respective countries..
warmest regards,
take care
Ruchi

Post a Comment