Sunday, March 21, 2010

Connection and Show

For weeks, I didn't know what I was going to do for Spring Break. For weeks, I didn't know if Mom was going to feel ok enough for us to drive to University of Oklahoma, to my Grandparents' in Texas and even to College Station. But on Friday afternoon, when I was still at school, Mom emailed me and asked me if we can go to my Grandparents'. And she said we can also stop by Norman, Oklahoma to visit University of Oklahoma on our way to my Grandparents'.

So here I am, sitting in my Grandparents over Spring Break. The drive was pretty crazy and never thought I'd make it to Ft. Sill then to my Grandparents in less than 2 days but well, I'm here. And after several hours of catching up on much needed sleep, we had a great dinner made by my Grandmother. (Man, can she cook or what? )

Guess since I took the nap, I couldn't sleep last night. So what did I do, I decided to catch up on TV shows that I missed through Hulu. And after watching last week's House, I think this episode made me think more than all other episodes of House ever had.

This week, House and the rest of his team try to help a blogger. And since you're reading this, you know I'm a blogger. One of the character in this episode said this:

"When you were first telling about why you love the internet, you said that 'no one has to be alone again. Whoever you are, whatever you love, you can connect with someone...this thing that you do, it's not about connection anymore, it's about an audience, it's a performance and you got eye on the number of hits. You've turn our lives into their entertainment."

Made me think about several things. First, I completely agree with this character's idea of why she loves the internet. Personally, though the internet I was able to keep in touch with my friends all over the world, meet new friends, and of course, meet/connect with other Military families on Twitter and Blogger. It is truly because of the internet, a person won't ever feel alone. And in this chaotic world, it's a good thing that we don't live alone.

But the second part of that quote made me wonder.

"this thing that you do, it's not about connection anymore, it's about an audience, it's a performance and you got eye on the number of hits. You've turn our lives into their entertainment."

Sort of makes me wonder when a person cross the line between connection with someone and looking for an audience. I wonder if anyone consciously turn this connection of interest(s) into a show. Then I wonder if I've turn this connection into number of hits, into a show and so much more. If I am, I'd like someone to tell it to me, right now. Because, that is just something I don't want to do and someone I don't want to turn into.

I've embedded this episode of House on here, or if you prefer, you can always go here and watch the episode on Hulu.


0 comments:

Post a Comment